Saturday, October 6, 2012

WrestlingNerd Presents: WWE Smackdown Review 10/5/12 (Plus brief thoughts on WWE Main Event 10/3/12)


What up wrestling fans, I'm the WrestlingNerd bringing you another written review. Today, we take a look at WWE Smackdown 10/5/12. Was the show worth checking out? Let's find out and start the review. 

We open up the show with Big Show. He brags about everyone falling victim to the KO punch….Except major talents on this show. Sheamus comes out and speaks tall tales. I think I figured out Sheamus' new gimmick. His gimmick is to always talk about seconds, even if there's no reason to do it. Seriously, WWE needs to stop having Sheamus talk about this. Yeah, WWE stop being subtly about it ages ago. Just like Raw, Show decides to run away from Sheamus' challenge since it's programmed in the heels to resort to cliches. I know we are only in the first week of this rivalry, but I don't like the way it looks. I will give it time, but I'm not holding out much hope for this to be a sleeper rivalry of the year or something like that. 

Match #1: Crazy Dreadlocks vs Prime Time Players; Tag Team Tournament
This was the final match to take place in the first round. Starting next week, they will start the semi-final matches. This match was okay, but nothing great. The finish comes when the PTP cause enough shenanigans for Darren Young to hit the TNA Copyright for the victory. Hey, the PTP finally got the victory over Kofi and Truth. Hooray? The PTP will go up against Hidden Identities (Mysterio and Sin Cara) in the semi-finals. They have been teasing this rivalry, so I think it will be interesting to see what happens. I still think this will come down to Rhodes Scholars and Hidden Identities. 

Winner via pinfall: Prime Time Players

Match #2: Ryback vs Primo
Since WWE didn't want a heavyweight to fight Ryback, he goes up against a lightweight. According to the commentators, Ryback is always thinking about his next meal…..Either Red Robin, Denny's, PF Chang's, etc. Ryback wins with the Shell Shock. 

Winner via pinfall: Ryback

Match #3: Layla vs Alicia Fox
I love how the commentators explains Eve's thinking. According to Eve, she thinks there's no more drama in the diva division. No drama? More like there's nothing at all. Layla wins the filler match.

Winner via pinfall: Layla

Match #4: Wade Barrett vs Ryback's bitch
In a backstage scene, CM Punk showed up and confronted Dolph Ziggler about leaving him during the match on Raw this past week. Booker T decides to make a match between the two. But I thought Punk didn't fight for free? Anyway, that's for later on tonight. In the meantime, we can see the Barrett Barrage. Yeah? Wade wins this match with the Souvenir for the win. Sorry folks, but the Barrett Barrage is only available if you weigh less than 150 pounds. Wade's video packages were great, but they haven't done a whole lot to build up the interest. In my opinion, this is lazy writing. Apparently, nobody got the memo when Wade said he was open for business. 

Winner via pinfall: Wade Barrett

Match #5: Sheamus vs Miz
Remember when champion vs champion matches were cool? Anyway, this match ends when Show arrives and hits a KO punch on Miz. I really have nothing else to say about this match. We're moving on. 

Winner via DQ: Miz

My name is Alberto Del Orton…..I like to talk without any emotion. I'll give Del Rio credit in doing the Randy Orton impression, but was it really that hard? All you need to do is walk slow, say uninteresting things, do that pose and you're all set. Booker doesn't like the cut of his jib, so he books Del Rio and David Otunga vs Team Hell No. You think a lawyer character would really learn when to keep his mouth sh-Ohhhhhh. Never mind. 

Match #6: Team Hell No vs Alberto Del Rio and David Otunga
Daniel Bryan and Kane continue their comedy routine. It's still funny, but I want to see them do more. Hopefully, they can figure out another way for Bryan and Kane to dish out the comedy. The finish comes when Kane hits the Chokeslam on Otunga. Bryan tagged himself in and hits a top rope move for the victory. Yeah, so another filler match. The only thing to take out of this is the fact they are teasing a Del Rio/Randy rivalry. Turns out I was right about Del Rio/Randy. What do I win? Umm….I don't know. This joke is going nowhere. 

Winner via pinfall: Team Hell No

Match #7: Big Show vs Tensai
Eve, Teddy Long, and Booker is the worst three-way ever. Just cut and past the Sheamus/Miz match and here you go. Well, at least Tensai finally won a match, right? Remember what I said about Sheamus/Show? Tonight's interaction didn't make me more interesting in it. 

Winner via DQ: Tensai

Match #8: CM Punk vs Dolph Ziggler
Geeze, do you think eight matches was more than enough tonight? I've said it once and I'll say it again. I would rather have 4-5 matches done well as opposed to having 7-8 matches that are done in the amount of time it takes to eat a potato chip. With that said, this was the best match of the night. Despite it being short, it was pretty fun to watch. At the same time, I've seen better Punk/Dolph matches (Royal Rumble 2012). I know it's strange to have heels fight heels, but it does add up since Punk is reaching the point where he simply doesn't care about anyone other than himself. I can generally let things like that slide if they add up. The finish comes when Punk hits the GTS for the clean victory. Punk still says no to John Cena for Hell in the Cell. What, did you really think they would make this announcement on SD? 

Winner via pinfall: CM Punk

Overall Impression:
You think for an episode that featured Punk it would be worth checking out, right? Well, I really don't think so. Even though they put a lot of stuff on SD this week, most of it was filler. I thought we were starting to get this show back on track, but it didn't take long for WWE to go back to their old back of tricks. Then again, I'm really not surprised. As long as Raw has three hour shows, SD will nothing more than a recap/filler tv show. In fact, WWE Main Event was more interesting than SD….

Oh yeah, WWE Main Event. Earlier in the week, WWE debuted a new show called Main Event. It's pretty much WWE Superstars, but with bigger names. In case people were wondering, I'm not gonna be reviewing WWE Main Event since it isn't gonna connect with the major storylines on this show (To so degree). Plus, I write 3-4 wrestling reviews in a week. Simply put, I have more important things to do than review stuff like Superstars, NXT, or Main Event. I will mention that I saw Main Event earlier in the week and it wasn't too bad. They only had two matches, but both matches were given a good amount of time. Again, I would rather watch 2-3 matches done right than have 8-9 rushed ones. Punk/Sheamus was probably the match of the week, at least in my book. It isn't anything amazing, but if they keep doing this, WWE Main Event can be a fun show to watch….If you need to waste an hour on Wednesday nights. I think this will be the only time I make mention to WWE Main Event, but I wanted to be fair and give some very brief thoughts on the first episode. Okay, I need to end this since this is quickly turning into a double review. That's gonna do it for the review and I hope you enjoyed it. As always, tell me what you thought of my review or tonight's show. I will see you guys and girls on the next WrestlingNerd show. See you next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment