Friday, January 25, 2013

WrestlingNerd Presents: WWE Smackdown 1/25/13 Review (A short review)


What up wrestling fans, I'm the WrestlingNerd bringing you another written review. Today, we take a look at WWE Smackdown 1/25/13. How does the final show leading into the Royal Rumble fair? Let's find out and start the review. 

We open up the show with Team Hell No. Both talk about their title defense and who will win the RR match. Since somebody wants to force another tag match on SD, Big Show, Rhodes Scholars, and Alberto Del Rio all interrupt. Sure enough, Booker comes out to make this a six man ELIMINATION tag match for tonight. Ohhhhh…..scary. The opening was just there to set up the tag match and give us an early preview into a few of the RR matches. 

Match #1: Sheamus vs Wade Barrett
You want to play a drinking game with SD? Well, I got one for you. Take a shot every time somebody says 'we fight on Friday nights'. You will get alcohol poisoning by the end of one episode. In a fair match, Sheamus wins with the Brogue Kick. 

Winner via pinfall: Sheamus

Match #2: Natalya vs Rosa Mendes
Natalya wins with the Sharpshooter. The match was ehh. This is probably the worst three-way ever.

Winner via submission: Natalya

CM Punk comes out to confront the Shield. Once they arrive, Punk keeps mentioning that he isn't connected with Shield and he won't be happy if they interfere in his match. For the first time that I can think of, Shield actually walks away and does nothing. Once they leave, the Rock shows up to give us one final confrontation between himself and Punk. Rocky says he still believes Punk is working with Shield and he will become the new WWE Champion this Sunday. For the final confrontation between the two, this one is at least fair. I felt more could've been done between Rock and Punk, but there's still enough interest for this PPV.

Match #3: Randy Orton vs Drew McIntyre
This match didn't last long. 3MB interferes, thus resulting in a DQ. After the match, Randy takes out all the members of 3MB. We're the Three Job Baaaaaaaaannnnnnnd!!!

Winner via DQ: Randy Orton

Match #4: Miz vs Darren Young
Miz gets the quick victory with Figure Four Lock. Antonio was on commentary for this match, so at least they're adding some last-minute build between these two. I kinda like the rivalry, but I think they could do a lot more if they were given more time. Since this is the first match, I think there will be more build with this rivalry after this Sunday. 

Winner via submission: Miz

Match #5: Alberto Del Rio and Team Hell No vs Big Show and Rhodes Scholars; Elimination Match
Was this an elimination match or a countout free-for-all? Seriously, half the people in this match lost because people couldn't answer the ten count. Boy, was this getting repetitive. What was strange is the final two ended up being Del Rio and Cody. Del Rio ends up hitting the Enziguri for the victory. Del Rio is the sole survivor. After the match, Show attacks Del Rio and takes him out. He even takes out Del Rio to the point where he couldn't answer Show's ten count. Why is burying people under the announce table the newest thing in the WWE? Speaking of which, why do I get the strange feeling that WWE would have John Cena punch through the damn thing in order to keep the match going? Hey, you know that's what will end up happening in the future.  

Winner: Alberto Del Rio

Overall Impression:
I really didn't expect much with this week's episode, but this wasn't too bad. I think for a show that was centered on selling the RR PPV, I think it does that decently enough. I'm not saying this was a great episode. In fact, you can look at it as filler, but I can at least be fair with the rumble hype. These SD reviews tend to be my shortest ones out of the week. I really have nothing else to add. I know this is the part where I discuss the RR matches, but I personally don't feel like doing so. I apologize for this, but I'm a little under the weather. The best I can do is give my top favorites to win the rumble match. These are in no particular order, but my favorites are John Cena, Dolph Ziggler, Rock, CM Punk, and Ryback. Depending on who loses the WWE title match, I can see a scenario where the loser competes in the RR match. We'll talk more about the RR in the RR review. That's gonna do it for the review and I hope you enjoyed it. As always, tell me what you thought of my review or tonight's show. I will see you guys and girls in the next one. 

1 comment:

  1. That's John Cena for ya, rising above announce tables, especially the Spanish announce table.

    ReplyDelete