Friday, April 5, 2013

WrestlingNerd Presents: WWE WrestleMania 29 Rundown Part II


Welcome back to the WrestleMania 29 Rundown. This is Part II of the Rundown, so if you missed out on Part I, please visit this link first. Let's a go. 


The Shield vs Sheamus, Randy Orton, and Big Show

I have mixed feelings on this match. I think the reason I'm not very excited about this match is because it's yet another six-man tag match involving the Shield. I realize the Shield works as a group, but how many times can you change Team WWE before it becomes redundant? I also feel Shield has lost a bit of steam since getting in the middle of this rivalry. They're still strong, but what I'm referring to is WWE kinda forgetting their objectives. I mostly blame that due to WM season since WWE is gonna focus on other storylines more than this one. Hopefully, we see something that makes them get back on the right track. It's possible that WWE has given up on the Shield, but I don't fully believe that. Unfortunately, they have to deal with Super Irishman, Snake Man, and a giant. I talked about this a while back and recently brought it up again, but I honestly think if anybody in the WWE is on the verge of a heel turn, it has to be Orton. I have this gut feeling that it's time for him to go heel and go back to a character that suits him better. I don't think it will be revealed that Orton has been controlling this stable from the beginning. I personally don't want to see that happen since Orton controlling a stable has been done before, but it could be an interesting idea if done right. I think Orton screws his team over because he wants to be a dick.

Who should win?
Like the Jericho/Fandango match, it would help if the rookies get the victory. They simply have more to gain from this than the three veterans. Regardless of who wins this Sunday, it will be apparent from WWE if this angle is continuing or being pulled. 

Who creative will pick?
Like I said earlier, creative tends to go back and forth with the rookies or the vets getting the victory. Same could be said for this match. 

My final pick:
I have the Shield winning this match. There really is no reason for Sheamus' drinking buddies to pick up this victory. 

Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger; WHC

I've expressed my concerns with this rivalry for the over the last month. I really felt this whole thing would flow a lot better if Swagger had returned on television before the Royal Rumble. If they had built up this Zeb Coulter earlier leading into their world title match, I think it would add more interest towards this match. Despite this angle starting rather late, they were doing a good job to build it up at first. Zeb continues to piss you off with his 'Merica ideals', while Del Rio and Ricardo were finding their own way of getting you on their side. For some reason, this storyline has arrived at a standstill. They just stop the progression of this whole thing and has lost some of its flavor. Its become a piece of chewing gum. That's not a good sign considering this is still new. There's a chance this rivalry will continue after WM based on WWE's history, but a certain somebody with a blue briefcase could have a major influence on this match. Hmmmm…

Who should win?
If you want this 'We the people' thing to mean anything, Swagger has to get the world title at some point. It doesn't necessary mean he has to win this Sunday, but it would help to get the title sooner rather than later. 

Who creative will pick?
Creative can either give Swagger the green-light now or later. 

My final pick:
This is kind of a tough choice since I can see this one go either way. I could change this one after writing this, but I've got Del Rio winning for the time being. I'm only leaning towards Del Rio since Dolph cashing in on Del Rio makes more sense than cashing in on Swagger. If no cash-in happens, I have to lean towards Swagger winning this match. 

Triple H vs Brock Lesnar; No Holds Barred

I've talked about this match so much that it has become a broken record. I might as well talk about it one last time before the big dance. The main reason I have not been interested in this match is because of how disappointing the first encounter between the two turned out. While the build for their SummerSlam match was done very well and it seemed Brock, Trips, and Paul Heyman told a very good story, the same could not be said for the actual match. The chemistry between the two was completely off and it was kinda sad to watch. When I heard the announcement for this being a No Holds Barred match, I found it to be a letdown. Their match at SS basically had no rules towards it. Instead of changing the playing field to something different, they basically want to roll the same match again and hope something will be different about it. The build for this match has been done well once again, but I'm mostly concerned about the storytelling for the actual match. HBK is gonna be present for this match, so I'm sure something about it will be different. I really hope so cuz it would sure be disappointing if we watch this match and it was literally the same as before.

Who should win?
I find adding the stipulation that Trips must retire if he loses this match to be a joke. There's literally no reason to add this to the match. Even if he lost, wrestling logic will pull something out of their ass to bring him back. With that said, it makes sense for Trips to win this match. He lost the first one and his family has been embarrassed by Brock and Pauly. It's now time for Trips to get his revenge so they move away from each other. 

Who creative will pick?
Creative is very much aware of what I just talked about in the previous paragraph. 

My final pick:
I've had Trips winning this match since the match was teased since last year. 

Undertaker vs CM Punk

I'm looking forward to this match, but I still feel more could have been done in the developmental department. I felt WWE has made this all about Paul Bearer and almost used his death as an excuse to build this rivalry. In a way, you can think of the WWE as being lazy with this rivalry, but I cannot say it has completely failed. Punk has risen himself all the way up towards a super villain with his actions. He has done a good job playing this part. At the same time, I would've liked to see them do more with this. They easily could've had Punk do something sinister to Kane in order to fuel Taker's anger even more so. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for with this rivalry, but I just wished more imagination went into this feud since all the elements are there. The streak has shown to be in danger for the last few years, but it almost seems like the streak is an afterthought. Because of that, there's no way Punk is gonna win this match. I see nothing there to even consider WWE deciding to let the Best in the World take down the streak. I think what could've fleshed out this rivalry a little more would be time. This really could've used more time since they only had 5-6 weeks to put this together. To be fair, part of that was due to Taker's body, but I just look at it and wonder what could've been done if they had more time. It's one of those 'would've/could've' scenarios, but it makes you think. Just to clarify before I get smashed with hate comments, I don't hate this build. This is still a match that I'm looking forward to this Sunday and the development was good, but I still feel a bit disappointed since Punk and Taker have more than enough in their arsenal to make something bigger and epic. 

Who should win?
That seems like a trick question. What are trying to get out of me? Are you trying to expose me? Have you figured out the truth? Oh no! They're on to me! I need to run away….

Who creative will pick?
I doubt creative is thinking of the other alternative for this match.

My final pick:
Taker wins and finally gets his revenge on Punk. That's what happens when you throw ashes on him. If WWE wanted to do some type of swerve, Punk picking up the victory would be one hell of an idea. I doubt it will happen, but that would add a lot of interest. 

Rock vs John Cena; WWE Championship

The match that has literally had two+ years of development…..Oh God, it has had two years of build. I'm not gonna pretend to beat around the bush with this one. I really don't have much interest in this match. The match they put together a year ago was fine. It honestly should've kept true to being 'Once in a Lifetime'. Since Rock and Cena 2 is the money-making move, you get to witness 'Twice in a Lifetime'. I had a feeling this match was gonna end up happening again, but I was hoping to be wrong. It is also because of this match that is getting a lot of outcry from veteran wrestling fans. Still, I find it a bit silly how the IWC claims nobody wants to see this match. That's the IWC thinking the wrestling industry really cares about what they want to see. Casual fans make up about 90% of the wrestling audience, while the almighty IWC….

Oh, sorry about that. Yeah, they only eat up about 10% of that scale. Rock/Cena 2 is a business move since casual fans will buy this PPV because it has Rock vs Cena. I may not be big on the match, but I've accepted the WWE doing this move. With that said, the build for Rock/Cena 2 has been very lazy in my book. Outside of the night where they had a Q & A with the Legends, there has been very little to get jazzed about. A lot of people have been thinking of the idea of Cena turning heel in order to take the championship. I think it's because of what Cena has talked about the last couple of outings, but I honestly think he's working the older audience into getting more PPV buys. If that's the case, he's doing his job very well. Again, people want this Cena heel turn so badly that they will look at anything he says as a sign of a turn, but it won't happen because of a few reasons. The obvious one is WWE profits a lot more from Cena being a good guy then being a bad guy. Kids love this guy and WWE makes a lot of money with Cena being the face of the company, but here's the other reason why Cena turning heel would be a disaster. Keep in mind that the Rock is still a part-time performer. While Rocky is in Hollywood making movies, Cena is out being a dick towards the WWE Universe. Do you see the problem? If Cena is heel, who the hell is the top babyface? Rocky isn't there, so who steps up? Del Rio? Really? You think Del Rio can carry the load? CM Punk has been a top face before, but is just a more natural heel than a face. I guess Ryback could be the best option, but something about the scenario doesn't feel right. Ryback has the credentials to be a solid babyface, but I wouldn't call him the #1 guy as of yet. Simply put, turning Cena heel almost makes no sense. If Cena's gonna win this Sunday, he's gonna do it the legit way. I know that's gonna piss off nostalgia fanboys who don't want to see Cena beat Rocky, but that's something you better accept right away. Cena will beat Rock cleanly in the middle of the ring. People will boo his ass off based on the setting, while Rocky will either shake his hand or leave in shame. I honestly would like to see WWE prove me wrong here and actually go through with this. It could make things interesting since things have gotten a bit stale in WWE and a move like this could be major. They just have to cover all their bases before going through with this. I'm sure the creative staff is well aware of the positives and negatives of Cena turning to the dark side. 

Who should win?
It's time for Cena to avenge his lose from a year ago. By doing so, Cena will generate over 10,000 YouTube videos that talk about how much they hate Cena/PG era. Actually, I take that back. It only increases the production of those videos. 

Who creative will pick?
I'm just gonna leave this one blank based on everything I've talked about so far. 

My final pick:
I've had Cena winning this match for a while and that still hasn't changed. I don't think a heel turn is coming and Cena wins in Super Cena fashion. There's always a chance I could be wrong and something evil spikes up in Mr. Breakfast Cereal, but we shall wait and see. 

Like Part I, tell me what YOU will think will happen at WM 29. I may not be overly invested as I have been in the past WMs, but there's still hope of something grand showing up at this event. I really hope that's the case and we don't end up with something like WM 27 or 9. As always, I try to remain as optimistic as I can be. Well, only thing left to do now is talk about WM 29 once it's all over. I will see you guys and girls in the next one. 

4 comments:

  1. More imagination? C'mon, this is the WWE Creative team we're talking here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shield benefit more with the win so they should get the win. I just hope they don't off of a Randy Orton heel turn and reveal that he's been the leader the whole time. Orton being the leader of the Shield would ruin them so I hope the WWE doesn't do that since they probably are stupid enough to think it.

    I still think Dolph has a good chance of walking out of Wrestlemania with the title but if he doesn't I'm more inclined to think that Del Rio keeps the title but I wouldn't be all that surprised if Swagger wins through underhanded tactics.

    Even though there are more storyline possibilities out of Brock winning I'm expecting a win for HHH. I am hoping they go for more of a brawl this time and ignore the no blood policy since that would add a bit to the blood fued feel they are going for with it.

    Punk winning would be one hell of an idea, but I'm guessing it's about as likely as Jeff Jarrett showing up on Raw. Still should be a good match though.

    I willing to bet the house on Cena winning, not my house but I'd definately bet someones house on a Cena victory. The big question would be is if we'll see a Cena heel turn to make it happen. I doubt that will happen though since WWE lack a big enough face to replace him, maybe if the Rock was to return to something that resembled a full time schedule then it might happen but since that isn't happening Cena isn't about to change. But if the WWE want to be brave and do something different and unexpected they'd have the Rock win. Just imagine the character development possibilities with Cena if once again on the biggest stage of them all he comes up short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can 'DwayJo' ruin three WrestleMania-s in a row? Or has he already done that? .... I have never been a fan of Cena, but he's far better than DwayJo is! - 'The Brahma Bore' is possibly the worst WWE Champion EVER !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cena wins - Dolph cashes in - new champion!!! Brand new feud - probably not, but just a thought.

    ReplyDelete