Friday, June 21, 2013

WrestlingNerd's Mini-Reviews: WWE Smackdown 6/21/13 Review

Okay, so I'm gonna try something a little different this week. I know people are used to longer reviews, but I want to try something along the lines of mini-reviews since I know some people haven't been fond of the lack of Smackdown updates. I'm simply trying this out to see how well it comes across. Depending on how it goes, this could become a regular thing I do every week/other week. On mini-reviews, I'm mostly gonna stick to the main parts of the show and ignore anything that's padding from the previous week's episode of Raw….unless it's something worth mentioning. Without delay, let's give it a shot. 

Daniel Bryan kicks off Smackdown by bitch-slapping WWE officials for calling off his match on Raw this past week. Bryan is convinced the company thinks of him as the weak link. I think Daniel would solve a lot of his issues if he just got laid, but I can see that backfiring on him. Bryan also wasn't happy about Randy Orton's actions after the match since he felt it was as if he treated him like a dog. If could've been worse. Bryan could've been his boss….

Randy claims he showed respect and not pity towards Bryan, but Bryan doesn't seem to care. Bryan wants a rematch with Randy, to which Randy claims he'll send Bryan to the hospital. So….Randy's a face, isn't he? And people still cheer for him to be a dick. I think Randy Orton is the only guy that can literally say 'I'm gonna shoot you in the f***in' face' and somehow still get applause.

Sheamus takes out Cody Rhodes with the Brogue Kick. Seriously, Cody Rhodes is pretty much Damien Sandow's bitch at this point. Let's ask Samuel L Jackson how he feels about Cody…

Well, that's one way of putting it. 

Curtis Axel defeated Wade Barrett in an IC title match, thus closing the book on the remains of Wade's career. There's always a chance he can get another chance, but it doesn't seem likely at this point. As we hit the fast-forward button, we come across Chris Jericho vs Alberto Del Rio. I bring this up because Dolph Ziggler interfered in the match to get back at Del Rio. Jericho greets Dolph by hitting the Codebreaker on Dolph. This is gonna start the talk of Jericho possibly turning heel, but I think this was just a typical reaction for somebody who got screwed over in a match. Besides, I think WWE has more than enough characters going through a face/heel transition for the moment. They can afford one more (Possibly Orton). but that's about it in terms of big names. 

Christian squashed Drew McIntyre and….prepare yourself…..declares that he needs….wait for the reveal….

That's the Christian we know and love! Unfortunately, the Shield doesn't seem to think so since they take out Christian with the triple powerbomb. With Team Hell No on a break and Randy being Randy, I guess you need others to join in the fight. Christian hasn't done it, so why the hell not? Besides, I think we can get some fun matches. Hell, Christian vs Dean Ambrose sounds like some delightful entertainment.  

The last match of the night was Daniel vs Randy. Once again, the two put on a really enjoyable match. This was definitely the match of the evening if you were curious to know. Randy is about to hit the Vintage Orton on the outside of the ring…

Thanks, Marty. Anyway, Bryan fights out of it and eventually wins with a countout victory. Bryan isn't pleased with hand-out victories, so he demands for the referee to restart the match. And….that's how the show ends. Somewhat anti-climatic since it honestly felt the show just stopped, but it doesn't matter. WWE continues to build upon Bryan's character and it's straight up awesome right now. I can't wait to see what this leads towards. 

Overall Impression:

This wasn't a bad episode of Smackdown. I don't really expect much with SD and I mostly just want to be entertained with the matches/segments to at least make it worthwhile and I think they delivered in that department. It may be a filler episode, but it's filler that could be worth a look. That does it for the mini-review and I hope you enjoyed it. Tell me what you think of this concept and if this is something that could work for future SD reviews. I will see you guys and girls in the next one. 

4 comments:

  1. this is better than no SD :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Anonymous, we'll take a review any time. And I like your quality over quantity approach to a SD review. Also, is it sad that a typical two-hour Smackdown, chalk full of Raw recaps, still seems faster paced and more jam-packed than a typical three-hour Raw? Don't get me wrong, Raw still has a much higher ceiling for greatness, but at times I feel like recent WWE eras could break down thusly:

    1997-2002 Attitude Era
    2003-2007 Ruthless Aggression Era
    2008-2011 PG ERA
    2012-Present Filler Era (but also still PG Era)

    And LOL at your observation that Bryan's character just needs to get laid. I could see him shouting afterward that he thinks the lady sees him as the weak link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I agree with Bill and the Anonymous dude, sometimes less is more.

    So long as you keep attention on the main points of the show, and of course keep it entertaining as you always do, it's just as good if not better if you were doing a longer review of SD.

    Don't have much else to say, other than keep up the good work dude.

    ReplyDelete