Sunday, March 10, 2013

WrestlingNerd Presents: TNA Lockdown 2013 Review (RIP Buddy Ray: 2012-2013)


What up wrestling fans, I'm the WrestlingNerd bringing you another written review. Today, we take a look at TNA Lockdown 2013. How does TNA's second PPV of the year fair? Let's find out and start the review. 

Match #1: Kenny King vs Zema Ion vs Christian York; X Division Title 
We open up the PPV with the most pointless match of the night. Seriously, there's no rivalry here. I'm aware that Kenny won the X Division title a few weeks ago against RVD, but why should I care? The X Division hasn't meant anything for months. The championship is basically a game of hot potato. Who will hold onto the damn thing until your hands start to burn? It appeared that RVD couldn't hold onto it very long since he didn't make it to Lockdown. The division will never be on the same grounds as the world title bracket, but you can at least put some effort into this. One thing to mention is TNA's LD structure. In years past, every match at this PPV was under a steel cage. This year, only a few matches will be under this stipulation and the rest would be regular matches. I personally don't have an issue with this. I know people will argue that it messes with tradition, but do you really want to see Joseph Park in a steel cage match? Yeah, that's what I thought. Kenny retains the title. Since he won the title a few weeks ago, it would've been odd to see them crown a new champion. Then again, it isn't like it matters. I still think Kenny has the worst entrance music in pro wrestling today. Seriously, what is that? What even is that? 

Winner via pinfall and still X Division Champ: Kenny King

Match #2: Joey Ryan vs Joseph Park
So, whatever happen to Joey's storyline? They had something in motion, but then it just stopped and he disappeared for weeks until being thrown into this. You think with that extra month to build up the PPV they would try to build these lower-card matches. Why do that when we can see Buddy Ray? The lawyer character just won with the power of a Super Mario ground pound. Mamma Mia!

Winner via ass: Joseph Park

Match #3: Velvet Sky vs Gail Kim; KO Title
There's some punches and kicks. I think the referee was attempting to do something. Yeah, I'm sure that won't cost her later tonight. Did you enjoy your fan service?

Winner via boobies and still TNA KO Champion: Velvet Sky

Match #4: Robbie E vs Robbie T
I'm gonna play a video game to pass the time….

F***!!!

Winner via pinfall: what's his name

Match #5: Greatest Factor vs Bad Influence vs Nacho Libre; Tag Titles
In what has been the best match so far, Austin Aries and Bobby Roode work together to take out the competition. If you're looking for a reason as to why Bobby has been missing for weeks, you aren't gonna get one. What? You expected answers? You expected a reason? It's pro wrestling. You're expecting way too much from the writers. 

Winner via pinfall and still TNA Tag Champions: Austin Aries and Bobby Roode

Match #6: Kurt Angle vs Wes Brisco; Steel Cage
After all these weeks, it still seems Wes is very shaky in the transition of being a heel. He looks the part, but he can't seem to get a grip on that hellish attitude. Does anybody else feel the same way? The match was okay for what it was worth. Thanks to D'Lo Brown, Wes steals this match. I really have nothing else to mention with this match. At least they're trying to make Wes stand out. Hard to say if he has all the tools to live up to expectations, but we shall wait and see. 

Winner: Wes Brisco (Aces and Eights won a match?)

Match #7: Lethal Lockdown
The hilarious part was seeing Aces and Eights get beat up for five minutes with weapons, but somehow find a way to fight back. You think they would be dead with repeated trash cans to the head, but that's wrestling logic at its finest. In typical Aces and Eights fashion, they lose when Eric Young hits a move from the top of the cage. I'm not even shocked anymore. This is the most nonthreatening stable ever. A box of newborn kittens is more intimidating than Aces and Eights. Not one of the best LL matches I've seen, but there's something about it that was at least enjoyable for me. I know most people were expecting a swerve to happen, but we still have one more match to get through. Will our swerve still happen? Let's find out.

Winner: Team TNA

Match #8: Jeff Hardy vs Bully Ray; TNA World Championship
Tazz just stuttered, "Get your face out of my face". It's things like this that make me question why I'm a fan of pro wrestling. The match starts off fair. It seems Hardy and Bully have good chemistry with ea--Aces and Eights! Get it off! Get it off my television screen! Oh, they're gone? Well, that was odd to say the least. I guess they get paid for every appearance. Earlier in the night, Hulk Hogan told Bully to make the audience remember you at the end of the day. Well, he would do something nobody thought he would do. He blows up his fire breathin' twitta machine thanks to Brooke Hogan. Well, I guess the reviews over. See you next time…

Okay, that's not funny. Once Aces and Eights arrives again, Bully shows his true colors and attacks Hardy with a hammer. He picks the bones and we have a new world champion. You would think Hogan would use his GM powers to overrule the match or restart it, but that would overthrow the power of the script. You can never question the almighty script! The script knows all! The script is everything! Nobody can take down the script! Is that really true? Haha….NO! Anyway, Bully proceeds to cut a promo. He reveals the relationship and working with Hulk to be a scam and reveals himself as the President of Aces and Eights. The show ends with fans throwing bottles in the ring. A cliche ending, but it fits considering Bully's antics. I mentioned last week how Bully revealing himself to be the leader wouldn't change much. While the shock and move were both necessary for Bully's title reign and character, I still stand by those words. Look at what Bully has been working with for all these months. An asshole, Eric Bischoff's semen, a rookie, Grizzly Adams, trailer-park trash, an annoying announcer, a bobble-head, and a half-brother. The only person who can come out of this looking good is Bully. To be fair, that's the idea. You make Bully the leader since he has the most to gain. I look at a move like this and keep thinking that this should've happened months ago. I'm sorry, but I'm really not that shocked over this move. In fact, I'm kinda indifferent to all of this. While Buddy Ray dies and the bully returns back to his true form, we had to go through a lot of bulls*** to get to this point. Think back to the last nine months of this storyline and remember what's happened. It's kinda hard to forget all the stuff that happened in between. I'm probably being very harsh on this. I don't hate the idea of Bully being the leader of this group. In fact, this was the best move TNA could've done, but I think the reason I can't fully love this is because of all the disappointing reveals, brawls, and shenanigans it took to get to something that should've happened last year. Well, I guess it's better late than never. If you're willing to forgive all the garbage that happened with Bully's character and this stable, you probably enjoy this scene a whole lot more than myself. Just to clarify before a fanboy or mark comes in with their flag, I don't fully hate this scene. I agree that Bully works better as a heel and I would rather have him be the leader of this stable. I just wished that he had a better army and the reveal didn't take so long. You gotta admit Aces and Eights has been hard to digest for months. 

Winner and NEW TNA World Champion: Bully Ray

Overall Impression:
I'm really torn with this show. The first half of the PPV was very forgettable and something I highly recommend you don't really sit through unless you're extremely curious. The second half of the PPV was better. The match quality did go up, but it didn't fully pull me in. At the end of the day, I didn't hate this PPV, but I also didn't love it. The PPV will be remembered when the Aces and Eights showed off their leader. It will also be the day Bully goes back to his true self and becomes the world champion. The best heel in TNA is now the world champion. I know I predicted months ago that Bully would be the leader of this stable. Maybe that's why I'm not fully loving the PPV? I think after watching pro wrestling for all these years, I've become self-aware of all the angles/plot twist they can muster up. Am I reaching the point where I cannot be shocked anymore? Could that be the case? I guess it could be, but who really knows. I think more people will end up loving this PPV a lot more than me. Like I said before, I didn't hate this PPV. I did like the second half of the show, but it just felt something was missing. This definitely had a PPV atmosphere. The crowd was very vocal and really enjoyed the show. I always say an audience can make or break a show, so this really helps Lockdown's case. It's kinda tough for me to give this PPV a score between 1-10 and 5 considered average. Hmmm…..I think giving TNA Lockdown 2013 a 6 out of 10 is fair. That's what I considered slightly above average, so I think that's the score I feel I can give it. I know many will disagree with the score, but more power to you if you enjoyed the show. I'm just sharing my personal thoughts and you can take of it whatever you will. That's gonna do it for the review and I hope you enjoyed it. If you hated this review, allow me to apologize to you by not giving a s***. I will see you guys and girls in the next one. 

WrestlingNerd's Score of TNA Lockdown 2013: 6 out of 10

11 comments:

  1. All I can say is good riddance to Buddy Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you get a heel stable to become badass? have them loose all together - TNA

    ReplyDelete
  3. They should have had Kurt Angle beat Brisco. That ruined it. Should have been a really bad night for Aces and Eights until right at the very end when the obvious happened. Kinda knew the crowd were going to start throwing stuff in the ring as it was so scripted! They had throwers planted and then the rest of the crowd just did it too. They wanted it to be just like when Hogan joined NWO. That was what made the PPV a bit poo. I really was hoping that they would have had a huge major twist right at the end and have Hardy as the leader of Aces and Eights. But now I guess Brooke will join soon, AJ Styles will come back and go against them all and be how Sting was in WCW. Too predictable which just makes it so boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of AJ, didn't they announce a tweet saying he was going to be at the ppv?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that tweet said Styles is going to be on tonight's episode of Impact..

      Delete
    2. Ah cool, thanks for clearing that up :)

      Delete
  5. Worst entrance music? Are you kidding??? Kenny King has the BEST entrance music in pro wrestling today, and is an epic wrestler with bags of charisma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing I wanted to touch upon was the x-division match where it had no build up. I thought it was a great match and Zema Ion absolutely stole it, he was on top form. I would rather a match have zero build up and be a great match (like when I used to buy ppv videos in the 80s and 90s not having seen anything inbetween) over having tons of build up or looking forward to a rivalry match and it's shite.....ie waiting for Rob Terry to unleash beast man like fury and then just wishing both of them would go away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about Kenny King smacking the back of his head off the guard rail.. Ouch! I thought he would of been out cold.. But he got back up pretty impressed with that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anyone notice Bully Ray slip at the end when attempting to climb the steele cage LOOOOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL while reading your match 4 review brother! same sentiments exactly!

    ReplyDelete