Saturday, June 23, 2012

WrestlingNerd Presents: WWE Smackdown Review 6/22/12


What up wrestling fans, I'm the WrestingNerd bringing you another written review. Today, we take a look at WWE Smackdown 6/22/12. How does the blue brand fair this week? Let's find out and start the review. 

We open up the show with Teddy Long. He brags about the Terminator .05 losing his job as the general manager of both Raw and Smackdown, but not before Big Show interrupts. Show says he doesn't care about John Laurinaitis and it's all about him. He admits that John Cena beat him, but Cena needed the help of five people and zero referees to win the match. Show also claims that he will win the Money in the Bank since nobody can match his size. Brodus Clay arrives and attacks Show. Brodus is actually holding his own against Show, but not until David Otunga comes in and does a chop block on Brodus. Funny how Brodus was moving around fine, but one chop block makes him fall down like a wounded bird. Show gets up and…..

Yeah, he pretty much destroys Brodus. Once Show has had his fun, Otunga claims to be a better dancer than Brodus. That's not bad, but this is better….

So, I guess we get some possibly foreshadowing between Brodus and Show. The opening makes you wonder why Teddy even showed up? I get that he's happy that Johnny is fired, but his appearance just seems random. Still, easiest paycheck ever. 

Match #1: Ryback vs jobbers from summer time
Frank Venezia and Jared Wachtler get killed by Ryback with the Double Muscle Buster. Okay, I got to say something. I like Ryback. I think the guy has a good look and he might go far, but can we see something different? We've seen him kill two guys for the past month. Add a third guy or ten guys. I don't care, just do something different because this is getting repetitive. Feed me more…..steak!!!

Winner via pinfall: Ryback

Match #2: Alberto Del Rio vs Christian
We also found out that Vickie Guerrero will be running both Raw and SD next week. This was a good match, but I felt it could've gone on longer. Then again, I probably have to take into account the editing process. The finish comes when Del Rio locks in the Cross Armbreaker for the submission victory. My guess is that Del Rio is still going to get his championship match, so a strong victory here definitely helps him. Oh, and as for the dirt sheet that talked about Del Rio this week, I simply don't give a s***. I wouldn't be surprised if it's complete bs. The puzzling thing was Cody Rhodes attacking Christian after the the match. I don't really see the point in continuing the feud. I'm guessing they haven't quite figured out what to do with Cody and/or Christian yet, so let's milk a few more weeks of this. Kinda disappointing. 

Winner via submission: Alberto Del Rio

Match #3: Daniel Bryan vs Kane
AJ is the special timekeeper for this match. It's official. The WWE is completely insane. Think about it? AJ is bats*** insane and not only do they give her the job of timekeeper, but they give her a hammer. You gave AJ a hammer? What the hell is wrong with you? This again was a decent match. It was given a lot more time than I originally thought. The finish comes when Bryan has the Yes Lock applied, but AJ rings the bell early. While Bryan is celebrating, the referee is explaining the rules to AJ and Bryan. Since the match is technically not over, Kane gets back up and hits a Chokeslam on Bryan for the REAL victory. After the match, Harley Quinn skips away as Mr. K is still puzzled. What a strange storyline, but I kinda like it. Then again, it beats the thing TNA……no, I'm not even gonna talk about that right now. I'll just end up having another nervous breakdown. 

Winner via 95-pound girl: Kane

Match #4: Heath Slater vs Zack Ryder
Mick Foley came out for a cheap pop until Slater interrupted and demanded some respect after the events of Raw. Since his gimmick is to get destroyed by legends on Raw, his gimmick is SD is to get killed by current talent. Zack hits the Rough Ryder for the victory. In a backstage scene, we see Foley and Ryder run into Damien Sandow. Damien  is not amused with Foley and Ryder. He was especially mean towards Ryder. Almost as if he vows to do something about this ignoramus. Well, it appears that Ryder is getting another storyline. This should keep the Ryder fans happy….For about 20 seconds until they realize that Sandow is probably going over in this feud……Your welcome. 

Winner via pinfall: Zack Ryder

Match #5: Prime Time Players vs Usos
Was Booker T barking in the middle of this match? I think Booker just does whatever the hell he wants while on commentary. The finish comes when Titus O'Neil hits a Lifting Sitout Spinebuster for the victory. After the match, the PTP and AW are walking backstage until they are confronted by Primo and Epico. The four guys fight in the back. Again, an actual storyline in tag team wrestling. I like it, but it feels weird since it has been a while since I've seen this. 

Winner via pinfall: Prime Time Players

Santino is looking for signs. He picks a woman who is a Santino fan. She jumps in the ring and makes out with Santino. Why was this on the air? I have no idea. Should I care? Probably not since I imagine that it will never be brought up again. Why did I bring it up? Once again, I have no idea. Am I crazy? Yes!!! BLAHOBBALALBALHABALLBALH!!!

Match #6: Sheamus vs Dolph Ziggler
This was a good match, but not as amazing as their match at the PPV. Then again, it's a little unfair to compare a PPV match to free TV. For the most part, the action was pretty decent on SD. The finish comes when Sheamus hits the Brogue Kick on Dolph. The match was fine, but I really didn't like the fact they put on the same match from this past Sunday. I realize they are trying to make Sheamus into one of the big names, but I would've preferred it done in a different way. Maybe a different opponent or something like that. Eh, I don't know. 

Winner via pinfall: Sheamus

Overall Impression:
SD featured a lot of filler, but they did put on some decent matches. Still, I was hoping for a couple of new storylines to bring to the table. They did tease a couple things like Show/Brodus and Damien/Ryder, but I was hoping for something bigger. Nothing new was brought up regarding the WHC. I figure that Del Rio will still get his match, but it was never implied. Christian and Cody seem to continue their rivalry, which baffles me since they tied that up at No Way Out, so there's no reason for this to continue. It was a show that didn't establish anything new. Part of me felt disappointed with this show. At the same time, the action did keep me entertained. At least for the most part. This probably was the best show out of the week, but it did leave much to be desired. Still, you might want to give this one a look if you're looking in the action department. That's gonna do it for the review and I hope you enjoyed it. As always, tell me what you thought of my review or tonight's show. I will see you guys and girls on the next WrestlingNerd show. See you next time. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with you Christian and Cody Need to end With "gimmick matche

    ReplyDelete