Saturday, September 1, 2012

WrestlingNerd Presents: WWE Smackdown Review 8/31/12


What up wrestling fans, I'm the WrestlingNerd bringing you another written review. Today, we take a look at WWE Smackdown 8/31/12. Since there's still a show on Fridays, let's go ahead and review it. 

We open up the show with Sheamus. He talks about Triple H and Trips' un-retirement. Ohhh, Sheamus is giving praise towards Trips? Let the IWC hate begin. Since we need to have some conflict, Damien Sandow interrupts. I love Sheamus' comeback towards Sandow. Yes, Damien, you need to shut oop. In fact, I think we all can learn something from shutting oop. Booker T comes out and makes a match. Well, at least Damien is being featured on SD this week. He's quickly becoming one of my favorites to watch. You're welcome. 

Match #1: Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes
Cody thinks by removing Sin Cara's mask that it will grant him more screen time. Oh, if only he realizes how much his stock has fallen. Rey wins this match with a rollup. After the match, Sin does the ultimate humiliation by putting a Sin Cara mask on Cody. That clever bastard!!! We gotta stop him from giving away free masks. Before you know it, he might give you…..his cape. OH NO!!!

Winner via re-masking: Rey Mysterio

Match #2: Kaitlyn vs Natalya
Eve was on commentary for this match. Here's a drinking game for you. Take a shot every time Natalya has turned face/heel this year. I swear she has turned once per month. Kaitlyn wins with a Kelly Kelly specialty. I have to wonder why Eve keeps getting in the middle of this. Oh, that's right. Her character is an attention whore and a bitch, so NOW it all makes sense. 

Winner via something: Kaitlyn

Booker T talks about AJ overstepping her boundaries as the GM of Raw by attacking Vickie Guerrero. An odd response by Booker, considering he plays face. I guess he wanted to give you the corporate answer since he has a new job title. Vickie vows to deal with AJ. I smell shenanigans.

Match #3: Sheamus vs Damien Sandow
Throughout this match, Damien was running away from Sheamus since he smells. The finish comes when Damien runs away for good. That must be some bad body odor. Sheamus ends up winning via DQ. I know people aren't gonna like this outcome, but I'm fine with this approach. Damien still shouldn't be going against bigger names quite yet, but this is a good way to give him some extra exposure. You also don't make him look to bad since he didn't take the pinfall, while Sheamus still looks like the Super Irishman that WWE has made him out to be. 

Winner via coutout: Sheamus

Match #4: Prime Time Players vs Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel
So, all those tag teams want a shot at the titles, so they decide to not do anything about the matter? Instead of creating a tournament or a free-for-all match, they don't really do much. While I'm glad tag team wrestling is getting some screen time, I would've preferred a mini-tournament to determine the new #1 Contender. The finish comes when Darren Young hits the Joey Ryan on Gabriel for the victory. I guess the PTP continue to show that they should be the top contenders. They really should be, with all things considered. Millions of dollars, millions of dollars!!!

Match #5: Alberto Del Rio vs Kane
You look back on Raw and I don't know if it's amazing or sad that one of the people that popped out the most from the show was Harold. Before I get a smarky comment, I'm aware that Harold is a well-known independent wrestler. I think I might've saved myself a couple of complaints for that one. Kane apologized to Josh Matthews for attacking him. Yeah, I'm sure Kane won't have a relapse in the next five minutes. The finish comes when Ricardo Rodriguez provided enough of a distraction for Del Rio to hit the Backstabber for the victory. After the match, Kane snaps. I love how Kane is apologizing to Matthews while beating the ever, loving, crap out of him. I'm sorry Josh, but anger management is too much fun. I think it really shows that after all these years, Kane still finds a way to be entertaining. I don't think Kane gets enough credit for the things he can do. 

Winner via pinfall: Alberto Del Rio

Match #6: Randy Orton vs Dolph Ziggler
This was probably the best match out of the evening, but it really isn't saying much. This is a match that could've been better if given more time. Then again, who knows how much was lost during editing and all those Raw recaps. The finish comes when Randy hits the RKO for the victory. After the match, Vickie gets the mic and claims that Dolph is still the MITB holder. Dolph walks away with the briefcase, while Randy seems a little bitter. Once again, I don't think people will like the outcome, but I like what they opened up here. While Dolph lost, by Vickie saying what she said, I think it sets up a rematch between Randy and Dolph. Hey, I have to try and remain optimistic about the whole thing. It's my thing. 

Winner via pinfall: Randy Orton

Overall Impression:
Another week goes by, and another week where SD is so underplayed. This show has taken so much of a backseat to Raw. It was evident before, but I think it has gotten more noticeable since Raw started doing three hour shows. Still, I liked certain moments of tonight's show. Kane is funny, while Damien got a chance to go up against some big fish. The tag team division gets noticed on this show a little more often, so there are a couple of positives of SD this week. The show can be filler-heavy, but there are a couple of interesting things to look at. That's gonna do it for the review and I hope you enjoyed it. As always, tell me what you thought of my review or tonight's show. I will see you guys and girls on the next WrestlingNerd show. See you next time. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review and recap of Fridays Smackdown, Mike! I got called in for a late shift at DISH and couldn’t finish the show. I made sure my Hopper DVR was recording and headed in to work. Thankfully I had yesterday off and I was able to get caught up before Raw came on. I think the situation is worse than Smackdown taking a backseat to Raw; Smackdown has become nothing but a weekly recap of Raw with a couple of matches thrown it. The stories never advance and much of the show is filled with clips from Raw. I don’t think they know what they want to do with Smackdown. A few months ago the show was Squash match heavy with 3 or 4 per episode. That has since been toned down but now I feel like I spend most of the show fast forwarding through stuff I saw on Monday.

    ReplyDelete