Saturday, December 8, 2012

WrestlingNerd Presents: WWE Smackdown 12/7/12


What up wrestling fans, I'm the WrestlingNerd bringing you another written review. Today, we take a look at WWE Smackdown 12/7/12. How was the blue brand this week? Let's find out and begin. 

We open up the show with finding out that Ryback and Team Hell No will go up against the Shield at TLC. I love how this TLC match will be determined by pinfall or submission, while Vickie Guerrero argued that you need to reach for something with a ladder match. You just wanted to give a title shot to John Cena, isn't it. Come on, you can admit it. It's wrestling logic, but just something I wanted to point out. If you didn't hear, CM Punk had to get some surgery and seems on his way towards recovery. Because of Punk's absence, this will be the replacement match for TLC. Think of it as WWE's Plan B. I'm actually fine with this approach. I think many people will argue that Shield needs to win this match in order to remain on top of things, but it's possible for them to lose this match and still look strong. As of right now, they are here to cause chaos and serve injustice. They aren't there for winning matches. I will argue that a victory would help them out, but I'm preparing for them to become Ryback's dinner. With that out of the way, time to begin the events of SD. Booker T wants both guys to sign a 'no contact' clause since they've been out of control for the past month. I love how this has been an issue for over a month, but Booker is only taking action until now. What, was a timeout just not cutting it? If they end up fighting before TLC, Sheamus will lose his championship match and/or Big Show will be stripped of the WHC. Yeah, Booker finally means business. After they signed the contract, both guys talk tough with Christmas conservation. Yeah, that Rudolph is a menace to society. Show tries to taunt Sheamus, but Booker is able to put a stop to it. Since the guys have built up sexual tension, they get to release themselves against others…..what? This was a basic opening. Not a whole lot to report here since I've talked more than enough about the Show/Sheamus rivalry. 

Match #1: Big Show vs Daniel Bryan
Despite the size difference, this was a tolerable match. The finish comes when Bryan is about to hit a top rope move, but the Shield arrives. Bryan takes his eye off the ball, which leads to Show hitting a Chokeslam. After the match, Shield attacks Bryan. Kane arrives to help is pleasure buddy, but Shield is just too much to overcome. The scene ends with Shield sending Kane through the announce table. Ryback doesn't eat on Fridays, so that's why he isn't here to help. I like the fact Shield showed up on SD, but WWE was aware of Punk's injury before the taping of this episode. I think they were just planning in advance, but I really do think Shield should be attacking people on SD as well. If they really are here to serve 'injustice', I'm sure there's some injustice on the blue brand. Matt Striker is on notice. 

Winner via pinfall: Big Show

Damien Sandow once again looks for an apprentice, but ends up finding…..skinny Kevin Smith? What the hell am I watching right now? After he failed the test, Miz comes out and tries to make fun of Damien's pink trunks. They are elegant trunks…..elegant. Not really sure what to make of this. Damien and Miz in a rivalry? While it doesn't sound like a bad idea, I'm not fully into the whole thing. I'll get used to if since this does have some potential if done right, but it just sounds weird. 

Match #2: Brodus Clay and Usos vs 3MB
3MB is victorious. What the hell is wrong with Jinder Mahal? He's doing the worst air guitar I've ever seen. It's like he had a stroke in the middle of the ring. I talked a while back that 3MB can get away without having a rival, but I think they are getting to the point where they need to have more motives. I guess you can argue that their rivals are the Comedy Bomb (Ryder, Santino, and Brodus), but I just want to see more of their motives come into play down the road. I like the concept, it's just I want to see them used in multiple ways. 

Winner via pinfall: 3MB

Match #3: Randy Orton vs Wade Barrett
Kofi Kingston on commentary is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Okay, he isn't that bad, but nothing about him sticks out. He gives you all the cliche responses and Kofi keeps reminding me why he isn't a main evener. Wade was about to expose the turnbuckle, but Kofi causes enough of a distraction for Wade to walk into an RKO. I really don't like the progression of Wade/Kofi. To be fair, I wasn't big on this rivalry from the beginning, but they aren't doing anything to make me think this is a sleeper rivalry or something. 

Winner via pinfall: Randy Orton

Match #4: Great Khali and Hornswoggle vs Primo and Epico
It's wrestling logic since Primo and Epico can easily take out Hornswoggle, but they stall just like any James Bond villain, which of course leads to their downfall. Horny just did the Ultimate Warrior rope deal? Should I even bother? Hornswoggle hits the Tadpole Splash for the victory. Oh, and I should mention that Natalya was with Khali during this match. Even if they go forward with this relationship angle, what would get accomplished from it? I would really like to know. It's comedy and that's your answer. Yep, that's all you get. What, you expected more? There is no more. You get nothing!!! You lose!!!

Winner via pinfall: Punjab Leprechauns 

We get a video of the Shield explaining their attacks. They thought it was wrong for Punk to get disrespected, Brad Maddox getting a lousily deal, and Ryback getting special treatment. They didn't go further as to why they attacked Team Hell No. The injustice they serve is the fact they actually do successful comedy. That would explain why they haven't done anything to Ryder and Santino. For some reason, I really liked this segment. It was done with a camcorder of their own, but I think it makes them stick out a lot more. You know, giving them their own traits and not just relying on old tricks to get the same results. Shield needs to talk more since they all have done well in the promo department. Even though Roman Reigns is the mute one of the group, I like his one-liners. 

Antonio Cesaro and R-Truth talk America. Who wrote Truth's promo? Hank Hill? With the way things were going, I was expecting somebody to sing, "America f*** ya….". I love JBL's line about PETA. No, they aren't concerned with helping animals. They are too busy getting stupid publicity by trashing the latest Nintendo game. This was all done to further build Antonio/Truth. I'm sorry, but I'm just not a fan of this rivalry. I kinda hope this thing ends at TLC. It shouldn't even be continuing anymore, but we need to get some filler for any PPV event these days, boy I tell you what. 

Match #5: Sheamus vs Alberto Del Rio
Kinda hard for me to get into this match since I still have a good memory of their rivalry earlier in the year. Yeah, that wasn't a compliment. Sheamus wins with the Texas Cloverleaf. The match was okay, but I've seen better between the two. I double-dog dare you? Am I watching SD or A Christmas Story? Show begs to be attacked, so Sheamus uses Ricardo Rodriguez to hit him in the crotch. I actually got a chuckle out of this. That was pretty creative if I say so myself. 

Winner via submission: Sheamus

Overall Impression:
SD wasn't too bad tonight. It wasn't great, but it was at least fair to watch if you had nothing else to do tonight. The main reason I enjoyed this show was the progress of Shield. I liked their development and I'm actually looking forward to their match at TLC. Still, this show wasn't perfect. Just like most episodes of SD, there is a lot of filler for tonight's show. Some of it was necessary to build up the PPV matches, but some of them could've done a whole lot more to progress them. This show is skippable since you don't miss a whole lot, but it isn't too bad. That's gonna do it for the review and I hope you enjoyed it. As always, tell me what you thought of my review or tonight's show. I will see you guys and girls in the next one. 

1 comment:

  1. I think WWE is trying the make Miz a tweener in the same way they kept pushing Punk to be a heel. If anything, his feud with Sandow could help them both get exposure for main event potential (or in Miz's case, get back into the main event).

    Unless 3MB get involved in the tag division, they are going to be like X-Factor in 2001 and go nowhere.

    ReplyDelete